Friday, January 29, 2010

Love Being Better Than Yourself


Faulkner says:
Don’t bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.


Don’t you love your Bffs and all their great things that make them so special to you. Growing up with an inferiority complex, I always looked for people to admire or at least appreciate my oddnesses. As time went by, I got tired of looking. That’s when it hit me. Screw ‘em. We have always been here for me from the beginning. I don’t need somebody else to validate myself. Boy, did things change after that. Sure I met one of my best friends in 5th grade algebra over a comic book. And yes, our art competitions made each of us much better far faster. In the end, yourself is always with you; so here we are.

I have discovered that the less you seek, the more mystified the rest of the world is as to why you don’t need them. That’s insanely funny. In fact, its hard to drive them away with sticks. Go figure. I guess that’s why rich folks have people always giving them more and the broke dude can’t get a loan. Faulkner knows something about the human spirit that it may not want to acknowledge. Competition can bring out the best and worst in all of us; but we can really channel that energy into something that forges us ahead into unfamiliar territories and accmplishments. I don’t mind losing; so long as I deserve to….besides, its losing that makes you better, not winning.

1 comment:

Andrew Stanfield said...

I read some guy (Joseph Heller, I think) believed that the worst thing that could happen to an author was to have a success with his or her first book- that a writer never learned the craft of writing without having to second-guess and question some of the previous decisions. Excellent blog and it's good to have The Odd Normal back.