Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cloned Disasters: Our Ugly Parts



Every night you turn on the news, its the same old story...dow jones plummeted, such and such filed bankruptcy and/or so and so laid off x number of people. True, its a tough time and no amount of positive thinking or pretending its not true will distract you from the reality that this is not utopia. People are spending less, people are holding on to more, and yes, sales are down. That typically means that generocity is also down. I watch the food banks and other charities cry for more help in an economy that isnt helping that many people. Ironicly, most of the big CEOs involved in the housing and financial disasters are keeping their jobs and asking the government for more. If I had any doubts before about Bob Corker, they're gone now. He would appear to be the most if not only common sense person around. Yes, a lot of people are probably going to lose their jobs in the auto industry, but why give the money to people who clearly have mismanaged the money they previously had the responsibility for the pensions and purse-strings. Why shouldnt we expect to see a clear plan of action, improvement or change before giving away the American taxpayers wellbeing? Why cant we expect some level of competency from CEOs beyond "it was a tough year and we did not anticipate this ..." I know that that doesnt work with my bill collectors!


With all that said, YES, things are going to get better and we'll mostly be fine again. Understand that it will get a lot worse before it get better; but it will get better. I read several stories about newspapers who have gone out of business after surviving "the digital age." And the poor Illinois governor....please. Get out of the way. Politics as usual isnt going to be able to rescue this mess. The good ole boys club has a serious black eye and all the Robin Leaches are running for cover. He who blames last gets blamed. In the end, it will require some pulling together as all the conventional means fail. In the end, the greatest force is love. I am sure we are never comfortable with what that looks like or what form it may take. There would be much about "redefinition" in the air these days. The folks I feel for the most are the ones who spent their youth saving and working only to discover someone with a bigger house squandered it all away on their greedy watch. Sure, some of us dont care or only have sympathy because right now, at least, its not us. As my iPOD hums away and my fingers continue their akimbo stance on the keyboards, the words of this song in my eardrums seems prophetic and maybe even haunting.

Love Comes Running Up That Hill
It doesn’t hurt me.
You want to feel, how it feels?
You want to know, know that it doesn’t hurt me?
You want to hear about the deal I’m making.
You, (If I only could, be running up that hill)
You and me (If I only could, be running up that hill)

And if I only could,
Make a deal with God,
Get him to swap our places,
Be running up that road,
Be running up that hill,
Be running up that building.
If I only could ...more...



And another siren goes by, screaming into the cold outside my window as Wednesday comes to a close. I cant wait to see the news tonite.

!!!
M

No comments: