Friday, September 14, 2007

The Skill of Saying Nothing...



secret agent man


I was recently working out at my gym and met this very interesting person. Since he appeared to be in excellent shape, I thought I might trouble him for some tips. Needless to say, people are always willing to talk about themselves....but not this guy! So I volunteered some information about myself and boldly ask, "what do you do?" The startlingly polite and discrete reply was extremely and skillfully empty. So I volunteered some more information....give and get, right?




We continued to banter for the remaining time inwhich he gave good tips, watched my form and idlly chatted about how important foundational issues were as opposed to how much weight. He had the swagger of military/former military. I hadn't encountered someone so ept at evading information in years. By the end of our time, we had had delightful conversation and I had learned a new exercise. I thanked him and retorted that it had been my pleasure. Isn't it the lack of things that make some more interesting? Perhaps most times, we are better off not knowing — but we can't help but still ask the same unanswered questions over and over.... How oddly normal.



!!!


M

No comments: